Saturday, January 29, 2011

Gaseous planet

I found this post on gadling.com sometime back and I thought I should share it here:



David Sedaris with Rick Steves: Funny travel incidents and observations like when flight attendants pass gas

Two of the things I remember from an interview I heard withDavid Sedaris on Travel with Rick Steves is that Business Class is known as ICU because passengers are in need of attention and flight attendants pass gas as they walk up the aisles because the sound covers the noise.
A flight attendant told Sedaris that. Not, Heather, our Gallery Gossip gal, someone else.
Here are two travel tips during the conversation that Sedaris passed on in his sardonic m wry wit sort of way.
  • When staying in a hotel, you don't put your clothes in drawers because that's how you lose things.
  • As a matter of fact, don't let your belongings wander more than two feet from your suitcase.
And here's a bit of irony that Sedaris has noticed when staying in high end hotels. He pointed out that these hotels have half-hearted attempts at going green. He points out that they may tout going green with missives like:
Save the earth. Don't make us wash these towels, save the earth.
Then with the turn down service, they turn on the radio and the lights.
He also says that, "Sometimes, I turn on the radio and I think, "Who the hell was in this room?" . . .like if the music is heavy metal.
Both Sedaris and Steves talked up travel in Japan which our own Matthew Firestone who lives in Japan could verify.
About Japan, Rick Steves says, "People were so unbelievably kind. In Japan, ordering was terribly fun. Japanese are so gracious. Only country I've been in where people regularly stop me and ask, 'You look lost, can I help you?'"
Living in Japan helped Sedaris quit smoking. He wanted to quit smoking because so many hotels don't allow smoking anymore.
To listen to the Podcast between Steves and Sedaris, click here. What I've passed on are only tidbits of the wealth.





No comments:

Post a Comment